30 June 2015

Shiro Cosmetics Review and Swatches


Shiro Cosmetics: "Cheekbones" Contouring Powders and highlighter

'Do Your Research', 'An East Wind Coming' and 'Curaga'

All across the internet I see people suggesting Nyx Taupe blush as a contour product for lighter skin tones, but personally I think that Shiro's Contouring Powder in 'Do Your Research' is amazing and I very rarely see it being suggested.

I'm not usually someone who is interested in indie makeup brands, the themed collections and loose powders don't really appeal to me, but when I heard about these Contour Powders I decided why not give it a go. After all, for $8 you get a huge 20g of product or if you're unsure you can order samples for just $1.50, so it's not exactly breaking the bank.

And honestly, I'm so glad I did try them because for the first time in my life I look like I have cheekbones. I've tried a ton of other contour products but, despite the fact that I'm pretty warm toned so theoretically warmer colours could possibly work, everything looked weird and unnatural. Do Your Research blends really easily and because it's a very grey toned taupey brown it looks incredibly natural.


The contouring powder is from the 'Cheekbones' collection, which is based around Benedict Cumberbatch which is why he's on the lid. It comes in a sifter jar, and I stupidly pulled the tape out when I first got it so half the powder ended up in the lid and I spent about a week carefully dipping my brush in so I didn't pick up too much. Then I realised that a better long term solution was to pull it apart so I could pour the powder back in and stick a fresh piece of tape over the holes so I could control the amount that I tapped out.

You only need the tiniest amount and I usually only uncover a couple of the holes to tap some into the lid then swirl my Real Techniques Sculpting Brush in it and rub it on the back of my hand to get off any excess. You could use a heavier hand for more a more dramatic contour. 

Included in my order were 2 free samples, one was another of the Cheekbones Contouring Powders, in the colour 'An East Wind Coming' and the other was an eyeshadow. The samples came in little baggies but there's still a fair amount of product in them. The website says that samples contain about a 1/4 teaspoon, but with the amount you need to use, even that much would last you a long time.

Originally I was torn between Do Your Research and An East Wind Coming but since I went with Do Your Research, I'm glad I was sent a sample of An East Wind Coming to compare the two. After seeing them swatched next to each other I found that An East Wind Coming was a very blue grey, and doesn't suit me as a contour but it's nice to have the reassurance that I chose the best colour for me.





I also bought a full size jar of the highlighter colour Curaga which is really beautiful and shimmery and very pigmented. I don't actually use it often though because it's a loose powder and I find them messy and prefer pressed powders. I can overlook the loose powder part for Do Your Research since it's such a perfect contour colour but for highlighters, I have pressed ones which I like better. The website describes it was a gold toned cream and even though it looks a bit pink in the jar it doesnt when its on my skin. Its very light so it would look best on pale skin tones. 


I used Urban Decay Primer Potion under the swatches to show the colour of them better since when applied normally, the colour is more subtle and blends into the skin really easily. When you see them separately, Do Your Research and An East Wind Coming both just look grey but when next to each other you can definitely see that An East Wind Coming is a lot more blue while Do Your Research is more Taupe.


Top- Bottom: Curaga, An East Wind Coming, Do Your Research
I was pretty happy with my indie makeup experience, depsite the shipping taking a few weeks, but since it was advertised as taking that long, I didn't mind. My order even came with a packet of skittles! My only real complaint is that I wish that Shiro Cosmetics had reviews for products on their website, or if they do they need to be easier to find because I like to research products before I buy them.


No comments:

Post a Comment